Buddha Jayanti is also celebrated on the day of Vaishakh Purnima. Lord Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, was born.Buddha Purnima is being celebrated today, the festival of the people of Buddhism. According to the scriptures, Vaishakh Purnima (Lunar Day) is being celebrated on 16 May i.e., on this day as Buddha Purnima. According to the scriptures, Vaishakh Purnima is considered to be of great importance. Visakha Nakshatra is also starting today at 1:6 pm. It is believed that this full moon is named Vaishakh Purnima because of its association with Visakha Nakshatra. Vishakha means divided or having more than one branch. The lord of this constellation is Devguru Brihaspati (Jupiter).
Who was Mahatma Buddha?
Gautam Buddha was born in 623AD at Lumbini village of Nepal. His mother died seven days after Buddha's birth. After the death of his mother, his aunt Gautami took care of him. He had learned the Vedas, Upanishads, Rajkaj and warfare from Guru Vishwamitra.
When will Buddha Purnima be celebrated?
In the year 2022, the full moon of Vaishakh month is on Monday, May 16. On this day Mahatma Buddha, the founder of Buddhism was born and his birth anniversary will also be celebrated. On the other hand, the auspicious time of Buddha Purnima will start from 12.45 pm on 15th May and will continue till 9.45 pm on 16th May. It is believed that this full moon is named Vaishakh Purnima because of its association with Visakha Nakshatra. Vishakha means divided or having more than one branch. The lord of this constellation is Devguru Brihaspati.
Bathing in holy rivers on Purnima Tithi is considered to have special significance. On the day of Buddha Purnima, after bathing in the morning, offer Arghya to the Sun God and pour sesame seeds in running water.The full moon of every month is dedicated to Lord Hari Vishnu, the maintainer of the world. In such a situation, water should also be offered to the Peepal (Ficus religiosa or sacred fig) tree on this day. Apart from this, give charity-dashing at the end.
Benefits of fasting on Buddha Purnima:
It is a religious belief that the full moon fast of Chandra Darshan is not completed. By seeing the moon on this day, the blessings of the moon god are obtained. Worshipping Lord Vishnu and Chandra Dev on the day of Buddha Purnima removes financial difficulties. Donating on this day is also considered very auspicious. It is said that the fruits of charity made on this day are manifold.
What are the Teachings of Mahatma Buddha?
• Lord Buddha says that one should not get angry. Because there is no punishment for anger. Rather, anger is punished.
• Gautam Buddha says that a friend is a more dangerous, deceitful and evil enemy than a violent animal. It also harms your conscience and intellect. One should always stay away from such friends.
• Buddha says never to doubt or doubt anyone. Doing so breaks your relationship. Even if it's your friend.
• Buddha says that one should be free from attachment, illusion and bondage. The more people you love, the more unhappy people are. Those who stay away from love are also free from trouble.
• According to Buddha, winning over yourself is better than winning battles because the victory will always be yours.
• Three things can never be hidden in this world. Like the sun, moon and truth.
• You cannot end the hatred of someone else by hating him yourself. Hate can be ended only by love.
• Buddha says never think about the time that has gone, worry about what is to come. Pay attention to what is happening to you in the present. Only then will you get real happiness.
• Mahatma Buddha says always keep your mind clean. If you change your mind, then no wrong or bad idea will come in it. Bad deeds will never take birth in the mind.
• Buddha says that keeping yourself healthy is the biggest responsibility. If your body is healthy then only the mind will be healthy and good thoughts will be born in it.
Significances of Buddha Purnima:
There are differences of opinion regarding the time of birth and death of Gautam Buddha. But many historians have attributed his life to 563-483 BC. Mahatma Buddha is known all over the world for his search for truth. It is said that Gautam Buddha wandered in the forest for years leaving the royal opulence and he attained the knowledge of truth under the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya after doing severe penance. After this Mahatma Buddha created a new light in the whole world with his knowledge. According to religious beliefs, the Buddha deity is considered to be the ninth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Therefore, along with the followers of Buddhism, people of Hinduism also celebrate Buddha Purnima. Buddha is believed to be the 9th incarnation of Lord Vishnu in North India.