Vijay Goel, Hon’ble Minister of State for Statistics and Programme Implementation inaugurated the 26th Conference of Central and State Organizations (COCSSO) at Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh on 15th November, 2018. Kishan Kapoor, Hon’ble Minister for Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs, Government of Himachal Pradesh graced the occasion. P C Mohanan, Acting Chairman, National Statistical Commission, Shri Jyotirmoy Poddar, Director General (Economic Statistics), Central Statistics Office, Shri Anil K. Khachi, Additional Chief Secretary (Finance, Economics & Statistics), Government of Himachal Pradesh,D P Mondal, Director General, National Sample Surveys Office and Shri T K Saha, Director General (Statistics), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India were also present. The conference is being organized during 15-16th November, 2018 by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) in collaboration with Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Government of Himachal Pradesh.
2. The theme of this year’s Conference is “Quality Assurance in Official Statistics”. The theme has been chosen to underscore the importance of compliance with essential parameters of quality in statistical systems and products.
3. In his inaugural address, Shri Vijay Goel, underscored the importance of synergy between the Central and State Governments for improving statistical system in the country. He also emphasized the need for maintaining the quality standards for various Official Statistics brought out by statistical agencies in the country. While highlighting new initiatives taken by the Ministry for bridging the existing data gaps, he mentioned that MoSPI is in the process of establishing a National Data Warehouse on Official Statistics which will act as repository of Official Statistics in the country. Shri Kishan Kapoor while welcoming the delegates in the beautiful city of Dharamshala has underlined timely requirement of data/information for monitoring various welfare schemes of the governments.
4. 26th COCSSO is a two days’ Conference being organized by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Government of India, in collaboration with the Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Government of Himachal Pradesh. COCSSO is a major national forum for coordination between the Central and State Statistical Agencies with the objectives of putting in coordinated efforts for making available reliable and timely statistics to planners and policy makers, not only in Government but also in private corporate sector for evidence based decision making and good governance. MoSPI organizes COCSSO every year, which provides a platform for the Central and State statisticians to exchange views and discuss common issues relating to statistical activities.
5. A number of papers relating to theme by Central Ministries/Departments, namely, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Labour, etc. will be presented during the Conference. In addition, various States/UTs, Directorate of Economics and Statistics will also share their experiences in this area. The session will explore into several important statistical issues such as implementation of quality frameworks, discussion on Collection of Statistics Act, 2008 and National Policy on Official Statistics, etc.
6. Based on the detailed deliberations in the conference, appropriate recommendations would be made for strengthening the statistical system of the country.