It has been recently reported that a stepwell at Indore Temple has collapsed resulting in the deaths of 25 people so far. The incident took place on Thursday at 11 am. The rescue operation is underway to trace persons reported missing after the tragic incident. A team of 75 army personnel along with NDRF and SDRF are involved in the operation.
The shocking incident took place at the Shri Beleshwar Mahadev Jhulelal Temple in Indore's Patel Nagar area on the occasion of Ram Navami while the roof, ancient stepwell (bavdi) collapsed during the havan. It is said that the incident took place due to overcrowding of people.
The Indore Collector Ilayaraja T said, "Total of 35 people died, one missing and 14 people have been rescued. Two people returned home safely after getting treatment. The search operation to trace persons reported missing is underway." "The 18 hours long rescue operation started at around 12:30 on Thursday, and is still ongoing," he added.
A few people have been rescued but are still in critical condition and admitted to ICU. While the ones who could not be saved, their bodies have been shifted to Indore's Maharaja Yeshwant Rao hospital. The chief minister has also announced financial support of Rs 5 lakh each to the family of the demised and Rs 50,000 for every injured person.
Also Read: 13 dead, girl still missing after stepwell collapse in Indore temple
The stepwell was built over 50 years ago and the head priest of the temple Laxminarayan Sharma said that the roof was constructed by putting stone slabs and concrete by fitting iron rods without any support of concrete.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered prayers to the families of the victims through a tweet. His tweet read as, "Extremely pained by the mishap in Indore. Spoke to CM Shivraj Chouhan Ji and took an update on the situation. The State Government is spearheading rescue and relief work at a quick pace. My prayers with all those affected and their families.”