Former Australia coach Justin Langer has revealed that he was never in touch with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for the job of head coach of the England men's team, subsequently filled by ex-New Zealand skipper Brandon McCullum. Langer, who resigned from his role with Austalia earlier this year following a revolt by the players who were unhappy with his way of handling things, was dubbed the best man for the England coaching job. But now the former Australia opener has revealed that he never considered taking up the job. Langer's departure coincided with the sacking of Chris Silverwood after England's disastrous Ashes campaign in Australia.
A host of England greats immediately called for Langer to be considered as Silverwood's replacement, with former skipper Nasser Hussain claiming the Australian was "the type of character England need at the moment", while Ashes-winning captain Michael Vaughan said there was nobody "better suited than Justin Langer" to coach England, said a report on the ICC's official website. But as Langer revealed during his speech as keynote speaker at a Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA event in his hometown of Perth on Wednesday, the Australian didn't even consider taking up the job. "(Long-time friend and former England captain) Andrew Strauss rang me the day after I resigned... but I have known Andrew Strauss for a long time and that was 14 weeks ago," Langer was quoted as saying in reports in Australian media. "(Apart from that) I've never spoken to English cricket.
The thought of coaching England mate!" Langer said the final six months of his time in charge of Australia was the most fulfilling, with the Ashes drubbing of England and the T20 World Cup victory the standouts. "The last six months of my coaching career was my most enjoyable period of 12 years of coaching," he said. "Not only did we win everything, but I had energy and I had focus and I was happy." Langer said he is enjoying being back home in Perth and he is yet to decide what the future holds.