Government of India had invited proposals to upgrade road network of 1345 kms under PMGSY (Phase II) and stressed due adherence to a consultative process with elected representatives while recommending road infrastructure proposals for Punjab.Sangrur MP Vijay Inder Singla informed that he had initiated the proposal and written in July to Rural Development Minister (Sh. Jairam Ramesh) regarding the need for an equitable allocation of funds amongst all districts of the State under PMGSY in a non - partisan manner.
Sangrur MP Singla informed that till now 167 roads (1100 kms) have been approved for up-gradation in Punjab under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for Rs 566 crores.Out of this 46 road works (455 kms) with 5.5 metre carriageway width approved recently under PMGSY 2013-2014, District Sangrur and Barnala has been sanctioned 7 road works covering a mileage of 83.47 kms for about Rs 50 crores.
Giving details on the 7 roads approved under PMGSY, Sangrur MP said that the following roads have been sanctioned
1. Block-Sunam, Cheema to Fatehgarh of 15.760 kms.
2. Block-Sunam, Sunam Lehra to Kaurian of 14.000 Kms
3. Block-Sehna, Bathinda-Barnala road to Tajoke of 9.610 kms
4. Block-Sangrur, Sangrur to Balwan of 9.950 Kms
5. Block-Lehragaga, Lehra-Kaurhrian of 9.210 Kms.
6. Block-Andana, Km.no151 sh10 to Mandvi of 11.940 Kms
7. Block Andana, Khanouri to Mandvi of 13.000 kms
Singla added that another list of road development proposals from his constituency is under consideration by the Ministry of Rural Development.