Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Monday admitted there had been lapses in evicting squatters from the Jawaharbagh here.He said there was some delay in police action as the administration did not want to target women, children and innocent people. Jawaharbagh was occupied by thousands of squatters for about two years, till police swung into action to evict them. However, 29 people, including two senior police personnel, were killed in the violence on June 2. The squatters were led by a cult leader Ram Vriksha Singh Yadav. The chief minister said poverty and unemployment were serious problems, and some people had attracted crowds by promising land and food. These unsuspecting people were used as human shield even as the cult leaders made impractical demands, he said. The government was firm that Jawaharbagh had to be freed from the squatters. "We initiated action after the high court's orders were received," the chief minister asserted.
Asked about a CBI probe, the chief minister said investigations were on by a retired high court judge. "A judicial probe is going on and those found responsible will be dealt with firmly." Akhilesh Yadav met relatives of the deceased Superintendent of Police Mukul Dwivedi and assured all help to the family members.He said the Bharatiya Janata Party had no real issue to contest the assembly elections next year and was therefore focusing on such incidents. The chief minister also detailed achievements of his government, saying it was working to improve lives of poor, women, labourers, marginal farmers and businessmen."New roads have been been built, and our health and developmental schemes are yielding good results," he added.